Over the holidays I decided to make a new ironing board cover to replace the grubby, threadbare thing we were currently using. For those of you feeling crafty, this is how to do it.
You will need:
- Bamboo batting. Work out how much you need by measuring your ironing board, then add 20cm to the height and 20cm to the width. You will need to buy double this amount as the bamboo batting is not very thick. I purchased some from Lincraft.
- Fabric. Add 30cm to the height and to the width of the measurement of your ironing board to calculate the amount of fabric you need. Consider buying ironing board fabric, or thick cotton.
- Elastic. I used 1 packet (2 metres) of 12mm wide elastic, but ultimately the amount you need will depend on the size of your ironing board.
- Notions. Cotton thread, a sewing machine, pins, scissors and a tape measure will all be useful!
What to do:
- Remove your old cover.
- Lay the two layers of bamboo batting flat on the floor. Then lay your ironing board on the floor on top of it. Trace 10cm around the ironing board, then cut out the batting and put it aside.
- Lay the fabric flat on the floor. Lay your ironing board on the floor on top of it. Trace 15cm around the ironing board, then cut out the fabric.
- Fold the edge of the fabric over twice to make a 2.5cm casing. Pin the fold, then sew it AT LEAST 1.5cm from the folded edge of the fabric (otherwise your elastic won’t fit). Leave an opening of about 3cm at the end.
- Put a safety-pin in the end of the elastic to help you thread it through all the way around the edge of the ironing board cover. Once you’ve threaded the elastic all around the edge of the fabric, sew the two ends of the elastic together very securely. Then, sew up the 3cm opening you left in the previous step so the seam is complete.
- Open your ironing board. Put your old batting on the ironing board — it will provide extra padding. Put the two pieces of batting on the ironing board. Finally put your new cover on the board which should hold everything in place. Voila!
All in all it’s a bit of work. You could save yourself the hassle and buy a cover from a large hardware chain for less than $20. But it wouldn’t look anywhere near as glamorous as this and anything to make ironing more fun has to be a good thing!