Growing our own mushrooms

Posted on Updated on

Mushroom kit: grow your own
Mushroom kit: grow your own

Today I planted our first mushrooms. It’s so easy, you don’t even have to be a gardener to do it 🙂

You can buy a kit like this one, which comes with everything you need and a set of instructions (we bought our kit from Bunnings). Inside, you’ll find a packet of mushroom compost and a packet of peat moss.

Inside the mushroom kit: compost and peat moss
Inside the mushroom kit: compost and peat moss

All you have to do is make some holes in the bottom of the container, spread out the compost and then the peat moss, and then wait for your mushrooms to start growing. The box needs to be kept in a dark place and the comost needs to be kept moist. This is truely simple gardening!

Advertisements

4 thoughts on “Growing our own mushrooms

    Marie-Laure said:
    July 26, 2009 at 2:08 pm

    Will be interesting to see what you think to the end result…don’t want to put a dampener on procedings, but I felt that it was a disappointing exercise. Mushrooms all matured at once, apart from one or two early ones, the taste was no different to shop bought mussies and cost-wise it turned out more expensive that buying from the shops. A fun thing with kids I feel, rather than a regular way of getting fresh mussies.
    I did look around for brown mushroom seed, in case they would be tastier, but haven’t manage to unearth any (boom! boom!)
    Good luck with yours though!

    biggreencoat said:
    July 26, 2009 at 11:17 pm

    Our mushrooms got a nasty mould and never took off. We had them under the sink, perhaps it was a bad spot. I hope you have better success with yours.

    Darren (Green Change) said:
    February 10, 2010 at 8:01 am

    How did they go? I’ve never had any luck at all with those types of kits.

    What did work for me was to buy bags of spent mushroom compost from a mushroom farm. I blogged about it here:

    http://green-change.com/2009/01/17/growing-mushrooms-from-mushroom-compost/

      James said:
      February 10, 2010 at 2:18 pm

      I’m afraid, as suggested by others, that the kit was a bust. Miss P obtained a few mushrooms, and then it dried out. Doh!

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s